A woman’s daily cup of tea could be the cause of her liver injury, doctors have warned.
The 62-year-old, who has not been named, had started to notice her eyes turning yellow and sought medical help.
Tests revealed she had a condition known as ‘cholestatic injury’ to her liver, caused by a build-up of bile in the organ.
Bile is produced in the liver and helps to break down fat in the gut. It is then stored in the gall bladder before being released into the intestine when we eat.
But if it backs up in the liver, it can cause damage. In extreme cases, it can lead to liver failure.
The woman, from the city of Nanjing in China, had been drinking around four cups of tea a day for more than three decades.
Her doctors believe the tea – which was not identified – was the cause of her liver injury as it contains high levels of caffeine.
They have warned people to be aware of the potential dangers of over-consuming caffeine, and to seek medical help if they experience any symptoms of liver problems.
A 62-year-old woman who drank at least eight cups of green tea daily for more than 25 years was diagnosed with liver injury, according to a new case report.
The unnamed woman was admitted to the hospital with yellowing of her skin and eyes, abdominal pain, and fatigue after two weeks of these symptoms, doctors wrote in the report, published in the medical journal BMJ Case Reports.
After a series of tests, doctors determined that the woman’s liver was failing and that she had cholestatic liver injury, meaning her bile ducts were blocked.
The woman was told to stop drinking green tea and was given medications to treat her liver injury. She was discharged from the hospital after two weeks and has since made a full recovery.
Green tea is generally considered safe to drink in moderation. However, this case highlights the potential risks of drinking large amounts of green tea on a daily basis.
We would like to remind our readers that moderation is key when it comes to any dietary intake, including green tea. If you have any concerns about your health, please speak to a medical professional.